In this series of posts I'll discuss a random album in my collection I feel like talking about!
So many music-based YouTubers out there have made "Top 100 albums" lists, and I have no idea how they do it. I could make a long list of my own favourite albums, but I'd never be able to number them. And as for a "Top 100 songs" list, well, that's even more difficult! I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of favourite tracks!! One song that would definitely make that list for me is Canadian group Bachman-Turner Overdrive's 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet'. I LOVE that song. And the album it appeared on, 1974's Not Fragile ain't too shabby either!
Not Fragile is actually quite a heavy album for it's time. BTO are not a heavy metal band, but it's fair to call this album hard rock. Riffy hard rock with the occasional blues/boogie influence, a bit like a heavier Status Quo maybe? The opening title track kicks arse! It's a slow, lumbering number with a fantastically heavy guitar and bass riff that drives the track along. And 'Rock Is My Life, and This Is My Song' is a stupendous hard rock anthem. The verses are melodic and mellow which build up to the fist-pumping chorus, which is completely awesome. '70s heavy rock rules! 'Roll On Down the Highway' achieved some success as a single, and you can see why. A very strong and upbeat hard rocker with some blues influence and plenty of great gooks to go with it.
'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet' was obviously the big hit from this album, and the BTO song that most people know. As I said, it's one of my favourite tracks of all time - which is admittedly a rather long list, but it's on there! Randy Bachman's vocals are ridiculously catchy, and I genuinely don't think the song would have had the same impact if it weren't for the stuttering chorus!! It's part of it's charm. Musically, the verses are actually pretty melodic guitars-wise, but the chorus has those simplistic yet powerfully heavy BTO riffs that you want. An S-tier 70s rock tune for me personality!! My second favourite track from this album is easily 'Sledgehammer'. Absolute banger! Like 'Rock Is My Life, and This Is My Song', there's some mellowness in the verse, which builds up to one of the biggest, most in-your-face choruses/riffs ever!! One thing I like a lot about BTO is the contrast between Randy Bachman and C.F. Turner's vocals. Turner has more of a deep, imposing voice, while Randy's is a bit higher in tone. Randy isn't necessarily great in terms of vocal ability, but I admire the honesty and raw passion in his voice. It's perfect for BTO. 'Sledgehammer' is a great example of their shared vocals. 'Givin' It All Away' too, is a top-notch speedy boogie rocker and an excellent way to close this record.
Complaints are of course, pretty minor. 'Blue Moanin'' is a fun song, but it does have a typically 70s blues rock feel compared to the rest of the album. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's the sort of thing a lot of other bands were doing at the time, and feels a little less special to the rest of the songs as a result. I guess 'Second Hand' is maybe a tad underwhelming next to everything else on here, but again, still a good time that doesn't take much away from the album (if anything at all). I also like the inclusion of the jammy instrumental 'Free Wheelin''. It was memorable ever since I first heard it. Production is great too. I love 1970s guitar tones, and the guitar tones on Not Fragile are stupendous.
In conclusion, this kicks arse. Maybe it doesn't quite top Montrose's debut as far as killer 1970s heavy albums from across the pond goes (and probably not as influential either), but it's a classic alright. I don't really know if I have an all-time favourite era for music as I think it depends on the genre more than anything, but I do find that a lot of my most played albums come from the 70s. Not Fragile is a 70s album that always puts a smile on my face. It's a 9.1/10 for me, because not every song on here is perfect, but there's more than enough outstanding cuts on here for the album to achieve classic status.
Adam's rating: 9.1/10
P.S. I own the 2012 Cherry Red issue. It bundles in their next album, 1975's Four Wheel Drive, onto a single disc (another really solid album). Totally recommend this reissue!
